Wednesday 18 April 2012

Fun in the sun...

Lots has happened since my last post and I must admit I got into holiday mode therefore so did my blogging! We are now in Bangkok on the last leg of our trip and very nearly time to head home. Just a quick post for now and more travelling stories will be shared when I am back.


One thing that has changed dramatically during our holiday are my insulin requirements - I am definitely noticing the third trimester insulin intolerance now! My record so far for my total daily dose is 63 units (about double of what I took pre-pregnancy). I have had to increase the maximum daily bolus dose setting on my pump twice since we have been away. I had completely forgotten there was even a setting for this as I have never used it the whole time I have had my pump! It's now set at 70 units but I am sure that will increase again in the next few weeks.


I've also noticed that this increase in insulin means I need to change my pump more often, so it now only lasts about 2 and a half days rather than 3 plus. Another change I was pre-warned about so I have lots of extra supplies with me. The thing I have found most difficult about being away has been not only managing my changing blood glucose levels because of my pregnancy but also the changes due to different activity, temperature and of course food (I have treated myself to the occasional mocktail by the pool - see above!)


I had considered all these elements before we came away but perhaps not to the extent they have made an impact. It has been really hard and there have been times when I have felt like my blood glucose wouldn't shift from a high reading despite my attempts. I have had a good amount of high readings over the last couple of weeks but also a fair few good results so I hope things will balance out. My next growth scan (30 weeks) is on Friday so at least I won't have long to wait to see how baby fared on his first travelling experience!


So for now just one flight remains and then we will be back on home soil. It's been an amazing trip, although I must say I will breathe a slight sigh of relief as we near home knowing my home comforts and of course my hospital are back on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment