Monday 9 January 2012

Happy (diabetes) Birthday To Me!


Today is my 'diabetes birthday'. I was diagnosed on the 9th January 1998 so exactly 14 years to this day. I'm not sure if everyone else can remember the date they were diagnosed, for me it seems pretty much engrained on my brain.

I can still remember waiting in the hospital to see the doctors and getting a can of pop and a chocolate bar from the vending machine, how little did I know about diabetes back then!

It probably doesn't come as a surprise to hear I don't celebrate this occasion like a normal birthday - no cake, candles, cards and I don't make a note in my calendar of the day but every year it comes around and I some how remember and take note. My life without diabetes gets further away as I get closer and closer to having had diabetes longer than I haven't had diabetes, which does feel kind of strange.

Happy birthday to me then and anyone else should I say 'celebrating'? their diabetes birthday today!

No comments:

Post a Comment